Ayurvedic Herbs Used in Uric Acid Treatment
Texts of Ayurveda recommend herbs in the form of medicine, which normalise vata and also reduce vitiation of rakta or blood. Usually herbs like amla , vibhitaki , haritaki , bitter gourd (Read Ayurveda Health Benefits of Bitter Gourd or Bitter Melon (Karela) ) , neem (Neem a Natural boon for diabetics ), guduchi or giloy (Ayurveda Medicinal properties of Guduchi ) etc are used in form of tablets, capsules and liquid preparations. While treating high uric acid levels through Ayurveda, the priority is given to eliminate body toxins which are disturbing composition of blood. Along with detoxification ( Read Ayurvedic Liver Detox at Home ) various herbs are administered to normalise vata and purify blood. A patient with high uric acid level should follow a strict pathya or diet and a disciplined daily routine ordinacharya
Home Remedies to Reduce Uric Acid Level
- Say no to red meat, seafood, organ meats and beans which are high in purines. Avoid refined carbohydrates like maida or all purpose flour and vegetables such as asparagus, peas, mushrooms and cauliflower. Plant purines are far safer than meat and fish purines in terms of gout risk.
- High Purines Foods: Meat: beef, mutton, veal, pork, venison, chicken, duck and turkey. Other organ meat such as brain, kidney, liver, pancreas, thymus, heart, neck, – Sea foods: cod, crab, lobster, snapper, salmon, tuna, trout, sardines and anchovies-Vegetables: cauliflower, asparagus, peas, spinach, contain a lot of purines, as do legumes such as lima beans, navy beans and lentils. Oatmeal is also high in purines.
- Never ever drink aerated drinks like soda and soft drinks. Avoid fruit juices and other sugar rich drinks.
- Limit alcohol consumption-Alcohol dehydrates the body and increases the concentration of uric acid in blood. Usually alcohol is consumed with purine rich food. Also limit consumption of beer as the yeast in beer may increase blood uric acid level.
- Consume cherries, blueberries, pineapple, and strawberries. Use Celery, which is a natural diuretic and helps to alkalize your blood and decrease inflammation.
- Drink bitter gourd and amla (Indian gooseberry) juice daily. (Juice of one bitter gourd and 5 amlas spread in a day)
- Consume 1-2 leaves of Guduchi or giloy (Guduchi capsules – giloy / tinospora cordifolia capsules ) in empty stomach
- Reduce body weight. Do not go for a crash diet. Adopt a gradual weight loss programme.
- Drink plenty of water. Keep your body hydrated. Water dilutes uric acid levels in the blood, and stimulates the kidneys to pass on waste products to the bladder.
- Maintain body PH: To keep your body alkaline, add apples, apple cider vinegar, amla juice, baking soda and lemons to your diet.
- Never use too much of salty, sour, spicy and fried food
- Keep your bowels clean. Avoid foods which cause indigestion.
- Do not consume opposite foods.
- Keep stress (Read Effect of stress on our body and tips to reduce stress ) at bay. Practice yoga, meditation and deep breathing exercises.
- Do not sleep in afternoons and do not keep awake at night.
- Do not supress natural urges like defecation, urination etc. ( Read Suppression of natural urges can cause diseases )